An Innovative and Economical Model of Care
Family Promise works with homeless families to tailor individualized plans to help them take the necessary steps toward lasting independence. All Family Promise guest families receive:
- Overnight accommodations at a local congregation
- 3 meals a day for families in the program
- Intensive, individualized case management
- Family Center/office with internet access, guest phone, laundry and showers
- Transportation assistance to school, work, job interviews, medical appointments and more
- Social support from volunteers
- Linkage with needed social and educational services
Triple Efficiency. Triple Impact.
The Family Promise model of care costs 1/3 less to operate than traditional shelters. Through the generosity and dedication of our volunteers and local host congregations, every dollar donated is matched by more than $3 of in-kind goods and services. For just $12 a day per person, we provide meals, shelter, transportation and support services.
The Model in Action
Each week day, guest families return to our Family Center located at First United Methodist Church. The Family Center provides guest families with access to laundry and shower facilities, phone and Internet access for employment searches. It’s also where they work with a case manager to develop an individualized plan to regain housing and self-sufficiency.
From there, the families are provided with transportation to work, school, job interviews and medical appointment by our driver and Network vehicle or bus services.
Each evening, guest families are transported to the host congregations where volunteers welcome them as guests into their church or synagogue, providing them with meals, hospitality and overnight accommodations for one week on a rotating basis. There are currently 17 hosting congregations in Jacksonville.
BECOME A HOST VOLUNTEER OR CONGREGATION >>>